Thursday, April 15, 2010

12 step program for online shopping?


Sandbox threads? Really?

Okay, I admit it. I have a problem. I am addicted to online shopping for baby stuff. I've never been much of a shopper. In fact, I've always been a bit tight with my money. Frugal if you will. But now I have the most amazing thing in the world to accessorize --my baby! And what is more, he keeps growing and doing cool stuff that I can by new clothes and new toys for. But even with all of this temptation, I might be able to abstain from the shopping bug if it weren't for amazing baby-stuff websites. Let's just call them ABSWs. Online shopping has evolved since the day of ebay I've discovered. You don't have to hunt and search for baby items, there are ABSWs which display the hottest and best trends, new ones every day, and get this--the ultimate kryptonite for women shoppers...they're on sale! Yes, every day--at least 50% off!?! What a brilliant scheme. It's almost like shooting fish in a barrel. What woman hasn't gone weak in the knees for a good shoe or clothing sale? We'll elbow other women out of the way for a discount like this in the mall. Black friday, cyber monday, who cares? I have amazing sales every day emailed to my account. The links are filled with colorful pictures of happy babies and contented moms, just beckoning me to click away and discover what new discounted joys await. And these sites store my credit card information, which makes it even easier to complete a transaction in just a few clicks. I don't have to hunt for my billfold and perhaps take a few seconds to breathe and decide I really didn't need a third diaper bag after all. But the most deceptive and ingenious ABSWs add to the pretty pictures and amazing sales a third element which I find almost impossible to evade--a limited quantity! Yes, these devious sites know how our mom minds work. We like to shop yes, but we typically hunt and peck--we compare and discuss and shop around. But when you are faced with a limited supply of an item, one you just know will finally complete your lust for baby stuff (yes, I have to have another shopping cart cover--this one has a place for all of his toys to go!) and visions of other mothers poised to purchase this very same item, rationality and discernment flies through the window. This is so much more exciting than "winning" an ebay item...which is like a horse-and-buggy ride compared to this speed racing adrenaline rush of procuring your item before the "sold out!" label is posted. Sometimes I have buyer's remorse afterwards, but more often my anticipation is heightened as I get to track shipping status and know that some day soon I'll get a knock on my door and a lovely brown box will appear on my porch full of so much fun stuff to open. It's better than Christmas!

But I am getting better. Maybe.

Step 1. A friend shared a jedi-mind trick in which you consider the shipping cost. Typically, these sites don't offer the super saver shipping of Amazon--they tack on $10 or $20 more for shipping, but you don't see that until the last page right before you select order. Now, you might say that $10 or $20 isn't much when you consider that the items are 50% off and you're probably "saving" well over that amount, but I promise, it does help a bit.

Step 2. Not setting an alarm to remind myself to go check the new babysteal of the day also removes one of the triggers for my addictive behavior. Yes...yes I actually did this.

Step 3: Another key is to stay away from mommy blogs--which are huge enablers --they're always suggesting new and even cooler ABSWs.

Step 4: Call a friend. If there is anyone out there looking for a support group, I'll be your accountability partner...I need help!

So far that's all of the steps that I have. And right now I have five items waiting in my zulily cart...another ABSW strikes again. I'm poised on the brink...will I...be able...to resist??? Help!!!
but seriously--how can you not want to accessorize this bundle of cuteness?

3 comments:

  1. Eliza, you're so cute. I'm glad you're enjoying being a Mommy so much!! :) I talked to a friend of mine about this issue a few years ago and gave her my ideas that might help. Simply put, I made a list of the exact number of shirts, pants (dressy/non-dressy), sweaters, shorts, jackets, coats, shoes, hats, etc. that I estimated I would need for my son for each season. Then, as I purchased those items throughout the year at thrift store sales, or e-bay or wherever, I could cross them off my list and when I had finished, I was done. OK, I wasn't that perfect, but it DID help me stay accountable to our NEEDS and so I didn't go waaaay overboard. It was a huge help. Now I now having an infant, this is harder to do, but maybe you can do this once he's in clothes long enough for it to matter, say 2T or something. Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL throughout...you set an alarm so you wouldn't miss your babysteals! I've had to stop checking my consignment stores every week...E. has too many clothes already! And I was tempted by the cart cover with toy attachment stations, and E. can't even use it for a couple more months.

    I ordered a new playmat for E. and I can't wait until it comes. Another babysteal deterrent is that I like to "earn" my deals...use coupons, cash back, etc. So much the better if I can combine them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. car accessories online cheap-Buytoprofit.com offering online shopping, style advisor service, store locator and customer information from flash sales to shoe clubs, these websites are changing the way we shop. Here's what you really want to know about each one. Our service is second to none--we carefully pack up your comics, graphic novels, statues, and collectibles

    ReplyDelete